Levin Papantonio Rafferty
316 South Baylen St.
Pensacola, FL 32502
Peter Mougey is a shareholder and the Chair of Levin Papantonio’s Securities and Business Litigation department. He concentrates his practice in the areas of complex litigation, financial services, and securities litigation, and whistleblower or qui tam litigation. Mr. Mougey has been recognized as one of Florida’s top 100 trial lawyers and a Florida Super Lawyer and has dedicated his career to championing individuals’ rights against the world’s largest companies.
His peers have rated him AV Preeminent, the highest possible rating. Mr. Mougey has represented over 1,500 state, municipal, and institutional entities, as well as tribal sovereign nations, in litigation and arbitration around the globe. In addition, he has represented more than 3,000 individual fraud victims in state and federal court and arbitrations. Most recently, in the National Prescription Opiate Litigation MDL, he was selected to serve as Co-Lead of the Distributor case and serves on the Plaintiff’s Executive Committee in what has been called “the largest and most complex case in the history of jurisprudence” by the Washington Post. Mr. Mougey has been recognized as a transformational leader in and out of the courtroom and is often called up to simplify the country’s most complex cases.
Mr. Mougey routinely lectures on issues confronting the legal and business industry including, “Bet the Company Litigation,” Broker-Dealer Regulation, Structured Finance, the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform Act, Managing Large Datasets for use in Litigation, and Quantitative Modeling. He is frequently quoted in the national press including The Wall Street Journal, Forbes, New York Times, The Los Angeles Times, Washington Post, Barron’s, Kiplinger, Business Week, and Investment News.
Mr. Mougey advocates for the rights of investors as both the past President and member of the Board of Directors of the national securities bar, PIABA. He has also served as Chairman of the NASAA Committee, Executive Committee and FINRA’s Improving Arbitration Task Force. Currently, Mr. Mougey serves on the PIABA Foundation charged with educating investors in conjunction with the SEC. In recognition of his long-term and sustained dedication to promote the interests of investors, he received the PIABA Lifetime Distinguished Service Award from his peers.
Mr. Mougey received his Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, majoring in Finance, from Creighton University. He earned a Master of Business Administration from the University of Portland and graduated from Samford University’s Cumberland School of Law.
In addition to his law practice, Mr. Mougey is active with several charities and his local community. He served as President for the “The Arc” (the largest national community-based organization advocating for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities) and as Chairman of several Arc committees. He was given The Arc President’s Award as Volunteer of the Year. He has served on the Board of Directors for his church, on the Cabinet for the United Way, and as a Junior Achievement instructor in economic business simulation.
Year Joined Law Firm
Present Position with Law Firm
Areas of Practice
- Class Action
- Qui Tam
- Business Torts
Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) Certified Regulatory and Compliance Professional (CRCP), 2002
- Cumberland School of Law, Samford University; Birmingham, Alabama; 1999 J.D.
- University of Portland, 1995 M.B.A.
- Creighton University, 1991, B.A. Finance
- Public Investors Arbitration Bar Association Meeting Session, “Discovery and Motion Practice,” October 2003
- Public Investors Arbitration Bar Association Meeting Session, “Hot Topics in Margin Cases,” October 2004
- Public Investors Arbitration Bar Association Meeting Session, “Standard Deviation, Value at Risk, and Monte Carlo; Simulations in Arbitrations,” September 2005
- Public Investors Arbitration Bar Association Meeting Session, “Countering Defense Strategies: Overcoming Red-Herring Defenses,” October 2007
- Mass Torts Made Perfect, “Bond Insurance: The Municipality Rip Off,” March 2009
- Injury Board Trial Bar Conference CLE, “The Subprime Meltdown: Greed at the Expense of Mainstreet,” June 2009.
- Public Investors Arbitration Bar Association Webinar, “Case Oversight,” August 2009
- Mass Torts Made Perfect, “Bond Insurance Update,” October 2009
- Public Investors Arbitration Bar Association Meeting Session, “Financial Preferreds- Freddie, Fannie, and Others,” October 2009
- Public Investors Arbitration Bar Association Meeting Session, “ NASAA Roundtable,” October 2010
- Mass Torts Made Perfect, “Your Local Municipalities Fleeced from Issuance of Auction Rate Securities,” April 2011
- Gulf Coast Financial Planning Association, May 2011
- NYC Bar CLE, “Prospectus Defense,” June 2011
- Practicing Law Institute’s Securities Arbitration 2011 Program, “Assessing the Case: Arbitrate, Mediate, or Negotiate?” August 2011
- Practicing Law Institute’s Securities Arbitration 2011 Program, “The Future of FINRA Dispute Resolution: Contraction or Growth?” August 2011
- Mass Torts Made Perfect, “ERISA Litigation,” October 2011
- Public Investors Arbitration Bar Association Webinar, “The iPad for Lawyers,” July 2012
- Mass Torts Made Perfect, “A Decade of Securities Mass Torts: What We Have Learned,” October 2012
- National Association of Trial Lawyers, “Qui Tam Litigation Update= Record Amount Recovered From Whistleblower Claims in 2012: Identifying Claims, Placing Your Cases, and Protecting Your Clients,” January 2013
- Mass Torts Made Perfect, “Mortgage and Foreclosure Fraud: Billions Remain Uncollected,” April 2013
- ABA Business Law Section Annual Meeting, “Bet the Company Litigation,” August 2013
- Securities Law Seminar Session, “A Comparative Discussion of Pre-Hearing Legal Issues, Strategies, and Preparation Before the Hearing: Exploring Critical Differences Among New York, California, and Texas- Evaluating the Case and Cross- Jurisdictional Considerations,” October 2013
- Securities Law Seminar Session, A Comparative Discussion of Broker Defenses: Exploring the Critical Differences Among New York, Florida, California, and Texas,” October 2013
- Public Investors Arbitration Bar Association Annual Meeting Session, Quantitative Analysis,” October 2013
- NASAA Corporation Finance Training, “Alternative Investment Products/Due Diligence,” November 2013
- Florida Justice Association Orlando- Workhorse Seminar, “Securities Claims in Your Community,” February 2014
- Mass Torts Made Perfect, “Expand Your Practice in 2014 with Business Torts,” April 2014
- Mass Torts Made Perfect, “Expand Your Practice in 2014 with Business Torts,” October 2014
- Public Investors Arbitration Bar Association Annual Meeting Session, “The UBS Bond Fund Debacle: How to Tackle a Bond Fund Case,” October 2014
- North American Securities Administrators Association, “Discussion/Debate: What is the Proper Role of Alternative Products in Portfolios of Small Investors,” November 2014
- North American Securities Administration Association, “Alternative Products/Due Diligence,” November 2014
Honors and Awards
- Florida Super Lawyers
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers – National Trial Lawyers Association
- InWeekly Power List – Most Influential People in Northwest Florida
- President’s Award recognizing volunteer efforts, 2007
- Leadership Pensacola, 2003- present
- Junior Achievement, economics instructor, 2006-present
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Florida Bar member, Trial Lawyers section
- Alabama Bar member, Trial Lawyers section
- Escambia- Santa Rosa Bar Association
- Public Investors Arbitration Bar Association
Board of Directors, 2006-present
Annual Meeting Committee, 2003- present
Arbitrator Recruitment Committee, 2005-present
Discovery Abuse Committee, 2004- present
Board of Directors, Young Lawyers Division, 2002-2004
- American Bar Association
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America, Securities Division
- Inns of Court, 1999-2002, 2006-2007
- Association of Retarded Citizens
Board of Directors, 2004-present
Vice President, 2008-present
Personnel Committee, 2008-present
Executive Committee, 2006-present
Business Advisory Committee, 2006-2013
- Junior Achievement, Economics Instructor, 2006-present
- St. Anne Church, Adult Fair Formation, Co-Chair, 2003-2007
- St Anne Church, Board of Directors, 2007-present
- Beggs & Lane; Pensacola, Florida