- Mike Papantonio
- Levin Papantonio
- (850) 435-7000
- (888) 435-7001
- mpapantonio [at] levinlaw.com
Mike Papantonio is a senior partner of the Levin Papantonio Law Firm and he has received numerous multi-million dollar verdicts on behalf of victims of corporate malfeasance. His award winning work handling thousands of mass tort cases throughout the nation, including Pharmaceutical Drug Litigation, Asbestos, Breast Implants, Factory Farming, Securities Fraud, the Florida Tobacco Litigation, has helped make Levin Papantonio one of the largest plaintiff’s law firms in the country.
Mr. Papantonio is a Board Certified Civil Trial Lawyer by the Florida Bar and the National Board of Trial Advocacy. He is a fellow in the International Academy of Trial Lawyers and the International Society of Barristers. He is also a member of the National Trial Lawyers Association (past president), American Board of Trial Advocates, the American Association for Justice (formerly the American Trial Lawyers Association), the Southern Trial Lawyers Association, and the Florida Justice Association (formerly the Academy of Florida Trial Lawyers), where he served on the board of directors for five years.
Mr. Papantonio is one of the very few living attorneys inducted into the Trial Lawyer Hall of Fame. He is listed in the publications Best Lawyers in America and Leading American Attorney. Mr. Papantonio or “Pap” is also a well-known environmental and media advocate who works to keep the public informed about the corporate corruption he has seen during his practice.
In 2017, Mr. Papantonio and the firm’s C-8 trial team helped secure a $920 million dollar settlement against DuPont, related to the company’s West Virginia plant discharging the chemical PFOA (C8) into the air and water around the Ohio River Valley and exposing citizens to the toxic Teflon manufacturing chemical.
In 2016, Levin Papantonio won the Special Litigation (Environmental) category in the National Law Journal Elite Trial Lawyers recognition program, after Mr. Papantonio led the firm’s C-8 trial team to one of several successful trials against DuPont.
In 2015, Mr. Papantonio was inducted into the National Trial Lawyers' Hall of Fame. He also was awarded the Defender of Justice Award by the American Association for Justice.
In 2014, the Stephen and Sandra Sheller Center of Temple University Beasley School of Law presented Mr. Papantonio with the Inaugural Award for Social Justice, honoring him for his outstanding contributions to social justice.
In 2012, Mr. Papantonio became President of the National Trial Lawyers Association.
In 2011, Mr. Papantonio was awarded the Perry Nichols Award, the highest honor given by the Florida Justice Association. The award recognizes individuals who fight valiantly and with distinction for justice throughout their lives.
In 2008, Mr. Papantonio was selected by the Public Justice Foundation as a finalist for its Trial Lawyer of the Year Award.
In 2007, as lead trial counsel in the environmental class action case of Perrine v. Dupont, Mr. Papantonio received a jury verdict award for a West Virginia community with an estimated value in excess of $380 million.
In 2001, Mr. Papantonio filed two lawsuits against polluters, which lead to a $70 million settlement.
In 1998, Mr. Papantonio teamed with Robert F. Kennedy, Jr., the Hudson Riverkeepers, and Water Keeper Alliance to establish a Riverkeepers program in Northwest Florida known as the Emerald Coastkeepers, Inc., a full-time organization that serves the community as a public advocate for the waterways of Northwest Florida. Coastkeepers and Riverkeepers are reputable for their willingness to take polluters to court.
Mr. Papantonio has also authored and co-authored instructional articles on handling complex litigation for trial lawyers. He is the founder of the cutting-edge continuing legal education seminar organization, Mass Torts Made Perfect, which trains thousands of lawyers on how to better their legal practice. The organization has hosted speakers such as former President Bill Clinton, James Carville, Johnnie Cochran, Bob Woodward, Elliot Spitzer, Jack Kemp, Al Sharpton, Arianna Huffington, Dick Morris, Paul Begala, and Dan Rather.
Mr. Papantonio is an author of four motivational books for lawyers, and a series of legal thrillers. He is also co-author of Air America: The Playbook; listed by The New York Times as a Political Best Seller.
He is the host of the international television show America’s Lawyer, where he provides in-depth investigations into major corporate corruption. He is also the host of the nationally syndicated radio program Ring of Fire, along with Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. and Sam Seder.
Mr. Papantonio has conducted hundreds of recorded interviews with guests including Erin Brockovich, Dan Rather, Helen Thomas, Howard Zinn, Arianna Huffington, Mary Chapin Carpenter, David Crosby, Merle Haggard, Morgan Spurlock, John Edwards, Bill Moyers, Rickie Lee Jones, Alanis Morissette, Pete Seeger, Jackson Browne, Chuck D from Public Enemy, Henry Rollins, Ted Sorensen, and Elizabeth Kucinich.
Mr. Papantonio’s role on Ring of Fire is featured in the movie, Jesus Camp, which was nominated for the 2007 Academy Award for Documentary Feature, and as a political commentator, he has frequently appeared on MSNBC, Free Speech TV, RT America Network, and Fox News.
- Board Certified Trial Lawyer, Florida Bar
- Board Certified Trial Lawyer, National Board of Trial Advocacy
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit
- Cumberland School of Law, Samford University; Birmingham, Alabama
Honors: Head of the Trial Advocacy Department
- University of Florida
Professional Associations and Memberships
- International Academy of Trial Lawyers
- International Society of Barristers
- National Trial Lawyers Association
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- American Justice Association
- Southern Trial Lawyers Association
- Florida Justice Association
Honors and Awards
- Special Litigation (Environmental) category in the National Law Journal Elite Trial Lawyers recognition program (2016)
- Defender of Justice Award by the American Association for Justice (2015)
- Inducted into the National Trial Lawyers’ Hall of Fame (2015)
- Temple University Beasley School of Law Inaugural Award for Social Justice (2014)
- President of the National Trial Lawyers Association (2012)
- Perry Nichols Award by the Florida Justice Association (2011)
- Public Justice Foundation, Trial Lawyer of the Year finalist (2008)
- Best Lawyers in America
- Leading American Attorney
- Law and Disorder
- In Search of Atticus Finch - A Motivational Book for Lawyers
- Clarence Darrow, The Journeyman - Lessons for the Modern Lawyer
- Resurrecting AESOP - Fables Lawyers Should Remember
- Closing Arguments - The Last Battle (co-author)
- Defenses You Can Count on in an Asbestosis Case
- How to Prove a Sick Building Case