316 South Baylen St.
Pensacola, FL 32502
After working several years as a litigation paralegal, Matt attended Florida State University College of Law, where he graduated with highest honors in 2002.
During law school, Matt earned 14 "book awards" (for the highest grade in a course), worked as Professor Charles Ehrhardt’s sole research assistant, served as senior articles editor for the FSU Law Review, clerked in private practice, and helped raise two young daughters. Matt has twice served as an adjunct professor to the FSU School of Criminology, teaching a graduate course on criminal law and individual rights. He belongs to the Order of the Coif.
Upon graduating law school, Matt worked two years as a law clerk to the Hon. Robert L. Hinkle, U.S. District Judge, Northern District of Florida, in Tallahassee.
Matt joined the firm in 2004 and became a shareholder in 2009. His practice has focused on complex litigation and trials. He has been peer-nominated and selected as a Florida "Super Lawyer" each year since 2009. He is rated "AV" by Martindale-Hubbell. He is a member of the Florida Bar, is a former member of the Bar's Code & Rules of Evidence Committee, and is a current member of the Florida Supreme Court Standard Jury Instructions Committee (Civil).
He writes a regular Evidence column for the FJA Journal. For several years, Matt chaired the legal review panel for the ACLU of Northwest Florida and he currently serves on the board of Emerald Coastkeeper, Inc.
With his two daughters now away in college, Matt lives in Pensacola with his wife of 27 years and several cats. In his spare time he plays bass, enjoys gardening, and loses chess games.
Year Joined Law Firm
Present Position with Law Firm
Areas of Practice
- Complex Individual & Class Actions
- Mass Torts Litigation
- Tobacco Litigation
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court District of Colorado
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- Florida State University College of Law, Tallahassee, Florida, 2002
Honors: Graduated With Highest Honors
Honors: Board Member, FSU College of Law ACLU
Honors: Meritorious Service Award for his service to the Law Review
Honors: Order of the Coif
Honors: 14 Book Awards
Honors: Law Review: FSU Law Review, Senior Articles Editor
- B.S., University of Southern Mississippi, 1992
- B.S., University of Southern Mississippi, 1993
Honors: With Honors
- Senior Writer, The American Trial Lawyer
- Equitable Repudiation: Toward a Doctrine of Fallible Perfection in Statutory Interpretation, 29 Fla. St. U. L. Rev. 303, 2001
- Bad Faith or No Faith? Finding a Place for Wrongful Refusal to Defend In Florida's Bad Faith Jurisprudence, 29 Fla. St. U. L. Rev. 1389, 2002
- Public Hospitals Might Claim Total Immunity from Emergency Medicine Malpractice Claims, 472 AFTL J. 17, March/April, 2002
- Pulling Skeletons from the Closet: A Look Into the Work-Product Doctrine as Applied to Expert Witnesses, 31 Fla. St. U. L. Rev. 67, 2003
- Martin vs. RJR et al. ($30 million jury verdict)
- Gray vs. RJR et al. ($9.2 million jury verdict)
- Danielson v. PM USA Inc. ($2.9 million jury verdict)
- Ward vs. RJR et al. ($2.7 million jury verdict)
- Guy vs. Roads Inc. of NW Florida ($4.25 million jury verdict)
- Hon. Robert L. Hinkle, U.S. District Judge
- Northern District of Florida, Tallahassee, Law Clerk