Levin Papantonio Rafferty
316 S. Baylen Street
Pensacola, FL 32502
LaRuby May is an inspirational lawyer who has been fighting for underserved populations for over 25 years. LaRuby has a wide range of experience representing clients in matters from workers compensation to complex litigation. She is committed to making sure that her clients receive outstanding representation.
Currently, LaRuby represents clients injured by PCBs (Polychlorinated biphenyls), 3M earplugs and talcum powder. Her focus is on identifying and supporting plaintiffs from a grassroots level, including those who are often disproportionately impacted.
She has focused considerable time and energy to hold general contractors accountable for providing safe working environments for their workers. Her certification as a state-certified general contractor also gives her a unique perspective in her representation of families’ wrongful death suits. When LaRuby is not in Florida, she is busy managing her own firm, May Lightfoot, PLLC. in Washington D.C.
LaRuby has been instrumental in arguing before the D.C. Council on a number of bills having a broad impact on not only the D.C. area but also society as a whole, including the bill to decriminalize prostitution, create equity between public and private workers compensation systems. LaRuby has also helped draft pieces of legislation meant to remove race and gender discrimination in the calculation of damages in wrongful death and catastrophic injuries cases.
Prior to practicing law, LaRuby served as the Councilmember representing Ward 8 in The District of Columbia. Additionally, she has served the community working to improve the quality of life for underserved District Residents as the Chairman of the DC Housing Authority Board of Commissioners, Chairman of United Medical Center Board of Commissioners, and the only public hospital in DC and as the Committee Co-Chair of ReOpen DC.
LaRuby is a frequent speaker at conferences on topics ranging from mass torts, diversity, trauma, leadership and professional development.
Year Joined the Firm
Present Position with the Firm
Areas of Practice
- Mass Torts
- District of Columbia
- University of the District of Columbia David Clarke School of Law, J.D., 2006
- George Washington University, M.A., 2000
- Eckerd College, B.A., 1997
Memberships & Associations
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- State of Florida Bar Association
- American Association for Justice
- Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity
- United Medical Center Not-for-Profit, Board of Directors, Chair
- Eckerd College National Advisory Committee
- Women’s Bar Association, Women in Politics Committee, Co-Chair
- Mayor Muriel Bowser Transition Committee, Co-chair Economic Development & Jobs
- State of Florida Certified General Contractor